Sight Support Derbyshire is seeking a female volunteer to help out at our afternoon swimming session for visually impaired people, which meets weekly on Mondays from 2pm to 3pm at the Queen’s Leisure Centre, Cathedral Road, Derby, DE1 3PA.
What you will do
There are a variety of tasks that you could perform to help the group run efficiently, and to help the members have an enjoyable time. We would work with you and existing volunteers to ensure you were able to do the things you were comfortable with, and to make best use of your skills. Your tasks will NOT include helping people to dress or undress, personal care, or helping swimmers to get in or out of the pool.
- Act as a sighted guide at the swimming group helping female swimmers get to the changing rooms, and to and from the pool.
- Help with tasks such as putting a coin in the locker, and helping people find their locker at the end of the session
- Swim alongside a visually impaired swimmer as a companion during the session.
- Drive visually impaired members to the swimming pool, or back home, using your own car.
- Meeting visually impaired people at the bus stop, and guiding them to the venue.
- Help with administration within the group, e.g. collecting money, completing registers, organising rotas, helping to organise events and outings
- Chatting to members and making sure they are well looked after.
- Helping to manage guide dogs if they are present at the session.
Essential Skills Required
Good communication skills, good organisation and people skills. If you wish to help in the pool, you will need to be a confident swimmer. Good communication skills are needed as it is essential that you are able to give verbal guidance whilst swimming alongside a member of the group.
Training and Support
We will give you visual impairment training and specific training of the tasks. A member of staff will give you support throughout your training and will contact you on a regular basis to see how things are going.
We will reimburse your out of pocket expenses in line with our expenses policy.
Before you start
You will need to provide us with the names of two people who can give us a reference for you.
This is an excellent opportunity to help enhance the quality of life for visually impaired people throughout Derbyshire.