Sight Support Derbyshire is seeking a male volunteer to assist the visually impaired men at our weekly swimming sessions in Derby. The group currently meets on a Monday at 11.30am at the Woodland School Leisure Centre in Allestree.
Your role is to help them have an enjoyable time. This will include:
- Acting as a sighted guide to help the male members of the group get to the male changing rooms, and to and from the pool.
- Helping with tasks such as putting a coin in the locker, and helping people find their locker at the end of the session
- Swimming alongside a visually impaired swimmer as a companion during the session.
- Helping to manage guide dogs if present at the session
- Chatting to members and making sure they are ok.
Your tasks will NOT include helping people to dress or undress, personal care, or helping swimmers to get in or out of the pool.
You will need to be a confident swimmer. Good communication skills are needed as it is essential that you are able to give verbal guidance whilst swimming alongside a member of the group.
We will give you visual impairment training and specific training of the tasks. A member of staff will give you support throughout your training and will contact you on a regular basis to see how things are going.
We will reimburse your out of pocket expenses in line with our expenses policy.
Before you start, youwill need to provide us with the names of two people who can give us a character reference for you.
This is an excellent opportunity to help enhance the quality of life for visually impaired people throughout Derbyshire. Please contact us on 01332 292262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org